Monday, January 9, 2017

With these words...

As an indie author you learn a lot along the way of your journey. What works, what doesn't, what others think and like, the list is forever long. I've learned quite a bit as my journey continues into the book world, but even though I have learned, I still fail at times. No one is ever going to be perfect, that's clearly an understatement for me, but I keep pushing forward.

The new Charming Selene hit the world like a storm. It was shocking and exciting to see how many people fell in love with this book. (I can't thank everyone enough for taking the time out to buy it! Thank you, thank you, thank you!) As an author there's parts of me in the books that come close to drawing from my own personal experiences and a thick line between what is real and what is fake. With the Charming Series, it's taking from my life and put into a world of make believe. For each character you write, you do an entire back story of them. That story may never get told, but none the less you know who they are and where they came from. That's the part I love. Giving a life to someone who may or may not play a big role is always exciting for me. That doesn't mean that I don't love each character, it just means that each one has a role and serves a purpose for a time.

While writing Selene's point of view (re-doing the first book) it was an awkward place for me. I had moved on from her and had wrote the second book from Sebastian's point of view, and going back to her, was more difficult than I had thought it would be. Selene is many parts of myself. From the sarcastic girl, to the nervous girl, to the girl who doesn't care about anything... These are all parts of my life and my soul. Sometimes when writing you go to a place you haven't had to go to, to let out parts of you through words... That's just what happens when I write. People say that you can't be "all these things" but in reality, aren't we? We are all complicated, interesting, and deep down loving people who just want to make a difference in our world. Not the whole world, but in our own worlds. We want to be ourselves, we want to be heard, and we want to be loved. It depends on who you are and where you're at in your life as to what and who the character becomes. That's the fun part.

As I begin to write the last part of the Charming Series, I find myself at odds. How does it end? What happens to the characters I have made in this story, and above all else, does it end with a happily ever after? Life isn't always a fairy tale, so do you go based off of that or do you go based off what you would want to happen in your life? It becomes a battle of where do you see yourself or better yet where do you see your character in the future. I guess as I write this final book, we will see how it plays out... But I am so excited to see where it leads.
This is a new YEAR and a NEW positive ME has emerged. It's time to let the past be the past and look forward. I hope all of you will join me on this journey...

Peace, Love, and all that Jazz- Dee King


No comments: